Thursday, March 26, 2009

Good college for a professional actor?

Hi there, I am 16 years old and I am starting to look at colleges. I love acting, in fact, I am already getting payed jobs and have been a supporting role (NOT AN EXTRA PEOPLE) in two feature films, and I have also starred and been a supporting role in other short/inde films as well. I am wondering should I even bother pursue acting in college? I use to be a big theater arts fan, but the problem is theater and film acting just don%26#039;t mix (though I have never had trouble switching in and out). Not to mention you can%26#039;t learn how to act, it%26#039;s natural. Most questions I have seen about becoming an actor/actress in college have come from... well, inexperienced pre-teens who want to be the next big thing. So I guess the general question is: Should I bother pursing acting in college for a major of a sort, and if so what are some good colleges for film acting. Thanks!
Good college for a professional actor?
Juliard
Good college for a professional actor?
A lot of your choices will be in Los Angeles. UCLA has always been a huuuge television acting school, but have fun getting into it if you%26#039;re from out-of-state. There%26#039;s also tons of schools in New York and Chicago and even Dallas. There%26#039;s even a particularly good school in North Carolina, aptly named North Carolina School of the Arts.





When I was looking for colleges, I attended this college fair and learned SO MUCH: http://www.nacacnet.org/MemberPortal/Eve...





This college fair is worth travelling to go to. I have never learned such valuable information for going off to college in pursuit of acting. Good Luck!





EDIT: About acting all being natural talent... you can always learn more. Never think that you%26#039;re perfect at what you do. Perfection is unattainable when it comes to art.
Reply:If you are going to have your SAG card before you graduate high school, (I guess you already have it) you should be making plans to go to LA,not to college. Your youth is your biggest asset and will be gone when you graduate college if you go to college. You can always pick up a degree later, if you think you will need one. You don%26#039;t say where you are located. You just need to start making plans to continue your career when you get out of high school. Maybe theatre and film don%26#039;t mix in high school, but as a pro, you may find they do. But you do one project at a time, and start making sure each is the right one for you at that time..Part of your life as an up and comming actor will be to take professional classes, not so much to learn to act, but to network and infiltrate the profession. I direct you to actingcareerstartup.com and the many articles there about getting started as a film actor in LA. There is no doubt that if you handle it well, you have a bright future as an actor. I have other advice for you about which acting schools, some reading and so forth if you are interested.

No comments:

Post a Comment